Prayer & Fasting | Dec. 3
Parkwood Day of Prayer and Fasting
For Commissioning and International Missions Offering
This Sunday, December 3, is a day set aside for prayer, fasting, and celebrating as our faith family prepares to send Jacob, Carmen, and Kelsey to live and serve in Central Asia and to give to the International Missions Offering later this month. This Sunday will be a day that these three brothers and sisters and we will remember for many years.
In Acts 13, Paul and Barnabas were sent off in a similar manner,
“Now there were in the church at Antioch prophets and teachers, Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen a lifelong friend of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off.”
We have the opportunity to do this exact thing this Sunday! We will come together as body of believers at 5pm on Sunday to pray and send these servants off. After the service will be a reception to break the fast and celebrate what God is going to do through Jacob, Carmen, and Kelsey. Childcare will be provided.
Meditation and Preparation
- Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 5:17-21
- Meditate through this text now, and tonight we will pray through it.
- Consider the plan of God to redeem.
- Praise Him, for He is a gracious God.
- Consider the choice of God to use His church as herald of His gospel.
- Praise Him, for He is a missionary God.
- Consider the throneroom of Heaven and representation from every tribe, tongue, and language.
- Praise Him, for He is a God who will bring to pass the consummation of His eternal plan.
Commissioning for Jacob & Carmen and Kelsey
- Story of Salvation
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:17-21, with focus on 2 Corinthians 5:17.
- Tonight, we will hear hear a story of salvation from those being sent.
- Praise God for His power to save.
- Pray that God would call to salvation others within the reach of our witness.
- Praise God that He has lavished His grace on Jacob, Carmen, and Kelsey to the praise of His glory.
- Pray that God will continue to save Central Asians by the power of His Word through His people.
- Praise God that He is growing His church around the world.
- Pray that new believers in Central Asia would begin immediately to share truth with friends and family.
- Story of Calling
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:17-21, with focus on 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.
- Tonight, we will hear a story of calling from those being sent.
- Tonight, join the church to affirm the external calling by laying hands on those being sent.
- Praise God for calling all believers to salvation and to mission.
- Pray that Parkwood members would be wise to use opportunities locally to be on mission.
- Praise God that the Lord of the harvest has called workers into His harvest fields.
- Pray that God will bear fruit for His kingdom in Central Asia and Gaston County.
- Praise God for directing His disciples in specific ways for His purposes around the world.
- Pray that God’s people would seek His guidance and be obedient, no matter the cost.
- Reminder of Sending
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:17-21, with focus on 2 Corinthians 5:20.
- Tonight, we will consider a reminder of sending for those being sent and others.
- Praise God that Parkwood is a church that is aware of the gospel and the mission of God.
- Pray for others to be discipled and developed through Growth Groups to pray, send, and go.
- Praise God for the cross-cultural workers that He has sent from this faith family.
- Pray that the Lord of the harvest would call others from Parkwood into His harvest fields.
- Praise God for raising up those who will go out for the sake of the name.
- Pray that we would be fellow workers for the truth who send and support cross-cultural workers.
- Response of Praise to God for His Gospel
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:17-21, with focus on 2 Corinthians 5:21.
- Tonight, we will respond with praise for the gospel that is for the praise of His glory.
- Praise God for sending Jesus to fulfill the law and to stand condemned in our place.
- Pray God would make us grateful for His sacrifice, forgiveness, and salvation.
- Praise God that faith in the gospel is the free gift of grace being extended to all peoples.
- Pray God would empower His messengers to boldly share the gospel to all peoples.
- Praise God for entrusting the gospel to His Church.
- Pray that Parkwood would be found faithful to the gospel.
- Request for Appropriate Giving in Response to the Gospel and the Call
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:17-21.
- Tonight, we will ask God for an offering that might affect the nations.
- Praise God for how He has lavished upon us spiritual and monetary blessings.
- Pray that God will give us wisdom to steward his resources.
- Praise God that he is sovereign and promises that His Kingdom will prevail.
- Pray that God will abundantly provide for the proclamation of the gospel to all nations.
- Praise God for His generosity toward us in the gospel.
- Pray that God would make us generous and help us to give cheerfully for the sake of the gospel.
*We will conclude this day of prayer and fasting in the Fellowship Hall with a breaking of fast and time of reception for Jacob & Carmen and for Kelsey.