The purpose of the Pastoral Internship is to equip potential ministry candidates in the area of pastoral ministry and preaching. Intern will be exposed to joys and difficulties of the daily/weekly responsibilities of serving as a pastor.
- Assist intern in acquiring necessary skills of effective pastoral ministry
- Develop intern’s ability to prepare sermons and to preach effectively
- Encourage intern to develop necessary skills for peer/congregational interaction and self-evaluation
- Expose intern to an appropriate and effective response to a crisis situation
- Expose intern to pastoral staff meetings and strategic planning
Expectations and Qualifications:
- Demonstrates a desire to grow spiritually and exhibits a strong relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and a desire to see people reached with the gospel.
- Theologically aligns with the purpose and beliefs of Parkwood Baptist Church.
- Works well with adults, students, and the Parkwood staff.
- Gives evidence of a call to vocational ministry by both gifting and pursuits.
- Working on a bachelors or seminary degree from a college, university, or seminary
Sermon manuscript preparation
- Intern will prepare a sermon on a weekly basis on a text assigned by the Senior Pastor. A preaching outline and manuscript will be due each Thursday before five pm.
- The intern will be responsible to preach/teach at least three occasions in a variety of settings.
- For each preaching/teaching engagement, the intern will be provided with an evaluation form that will be given to five members in the audience. The forms will be returned to the Lead Pastor and discussed with the intern privately.
- Intern will participate in pastoral visitation on a regular basis.
- Intern will attend pastoral staff meetings.
- Intern will attend Elder’s meetings.
- Intern will be given administrative duties and be actively involved in the activities of Parkwood such as VBS and Summer Camp.
- Intern will be exposed to as many other responsibilities of the Pastor as reasonably possible.
- 20-25 hours of ministry engagement each week.
- Lead Pastor